You are currently in Archive View Mode. You are now vieweing the call titled: Hot/Cool, which ended on 3/30/18, 12:00 PM. All call settings are read only. See Current Open Calls
If you have entered a previous show on the ArtCall.org site, then just click on the "login" button, above, to log in to your account and you will be taken to the page where you will pay the entry fee and then submit your images. If this is your first time entering a show using this site, please click the "register" button, above. After you register and pay the $35 fee, you will be taken to a page where you may submit your images.
If this is your first time using the site, scroll down for a video tutorial. Click on the "start" button to start the video and then click on the "full screen" square icon in the lower right corner to enlarge the video.
National Juried Show, May 1 – 25, 2018
Juried by Glen Kessler
2120-A Crystal Plaza Arcade
Arlington, VA 22202
Gallery Underground in Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia, invites artists working in all media to submit to “Hot/Cool,” a national juried exhibition. The terms hot and cool can describe colors, temperatures, desirability, popular culture, and presentation or appearance... red is hot, blue is cool, trends can be hot, jazz can be cool, fashion can be either hot or cool, people can look hot and act cool. Artists working in all media are invited to submit works with their interpretation of these characteristics.
R E Q U I R E M E N T S:
All media accepted, national juried show (US only)
Digital Entries accepted online only on the ArtCall.org site.
Entry fee: $35 for up to 2 digital entries; up to three additional works may be submitted for $6 each
Images – jpeg format only, file dimensions: minimum 960 x1920px.
Entries must be original, entirely the work of the entrant and not based on any copyrighted work – no giclees or reproductions except for limited edition photography. Note: photographs printed on stretched canvas will not be accepted. See additional conditions for submissions under # 6 in “Conditions” section.
C A L E N D A R:
Entry deadline 12:00 Noon, Friday, March 30, 2018
Notifications to artists by Friday, April 6, 2018
Receiving (in-person and shipping) deadline 10am-2pm, Saturday, April 28, 2018
Exhibit opens Tuesday, May 1, 2018
Reception, Awards Ceremony and Juror’s Talk 5pm to 8pm, Friday, May 4, 2018
Exhibition closes 6pm, Friday, May 25, 2018
Artists pick up work 10am to 2pm, Saturday, May 26, 2018
Shipped work returned Week of May 28, 2018
C O N D I T I O N S:
1. A maximum of FIVE entries per artist is permitted ($35 for up to two; $6 for each additional image, up to three).
2. One image (jpeg) per submission.
3. Two-dimensional work may not exceed 60 inches high and 48 inches wide nor weigh more than 50 lbs. 3D work may not exceed 6 feet on its longest side, and must weigh less than 75 lbs.
4. All two-dimensional works on paper must be matted under glass or plexiglass. Shipped work must use plexiglass.
5. Photographs printed on stretched canvas will not be accepted. Photographs framed under glass or plexiglass must be matted. Photos mounted on metal and photos under glass without a frame are acceptable and do not need a mat, as long as the backs are wired for hanging. Photographs should be signed, either on the mat or on the photo.
6. Works on gallery-wrapped canvas must have sides painted with no staples showing.
7. All work must be ready for presentation with the appropriate framing, hanging wires, etc. No spring clips or tape may be used to affix work to frame; work must be screwed into frame; No saw-tooth hanging - wire only. Work not meeting these framing standards will not be hung.
8. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, alter a work, change the sales price, or withdraw or remove a work after it has been accepted. All work must be for sale and must be removed from any online sales venue for duration of show. No work accepted and hung in show may be removed by artist until close of show. Work is considered consigned to Gallery Underground, who will be the exclusive seller of the work for the duration of the show.
9. Gallery Underground reserves the right to refuse any entry which does not match the images submitted or meet the criteria enumerated here. $35 entry fee is not refundable.
A C C E P T E D W O R K S:
Artworks may be hand delivered or shipped (hand delivered works must be delivered during specified receiving time only). Shipping instructions will be included in notification e-mail. The artist entrant will be responsible for all shipping charges in both directions. Work that does not contain return postage will not be shipped back and will become the property of Gallery Underground after 30 days from date of pickup. NO PACKING PEANUTS may be used for shipped work. Work that arrives with packing peanuts will not be hung in the show. Every precaution will be taken to handle artwork with the utmost care. However, Gallery Underground will not be responsible for damage or loss from any cause. Insuring shipped work for loss or damage in transit is highly recommended. Any work not picked up within 30 days from date of pickup will become property of Gallery Underground.
N O T I F I C A T I ON:
Notification of accepted or non-accepted work will be via email as early as possible after deadline, but no later than April 6, 2018.
S A L E S:
Sales will be promoted. All work must be for sale. Gallery Underground will retain a 30% commission on all sales.
P U B L I C I T Y D I S C L A I M E R:
Gallery Underground reserves the right to use entry photographs for purposes of publicity, documentation and promotion.
L E G A L A G R E E M E N T:
Submission of entry constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to comply with all of the conditions and terms contained in this prospectus. No work accepted into this agreement may be withdrawn prior to the close of the exhibition. All decisions of the Juror are final. REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GRANTED TO APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THIS AGREEMENT.
A B O U T T H E J U R O R:
Artist and instructor Glen Kessler holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Painting from Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA); and a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Painting from the New York Academy of Art. Glen has been awarded a 2013 Maryland State Arts Council (MSAC) Grant, two Elizabeth Greenshields Grants, and the Prince of Wales Fellowship. His artwork is collected widely internationally, and is in the public collections of Prince Charles, Ford’s Theater, Yale University, The George Washington University, Boston University, Maryland Institute College of Art, and St. Mary’s College of Maryland. He has earned Best In Show honors at numerous national competitions including ‘The Artist’s Magazine.’ And his work has been prominently featured in ‘The Artist’s Magazine’ and ‘Professional Artist Magazine.’
In addition to his own studio work, Glen is also a renowned teacher and mentor. He has taught avidly at both the university and community level for nearly two decades and in 2013 he opened his own revolutionary art school, The Compass Atelier, to facilitate the teaching of a cohesive art curriculum that takes students through all the necessary elements for artistic success in the most logical, efficient order. He has taught upper level painting and drawing classes at Maryland Institute College of Art, George Washington University, George Mason University, Boston University, as well as The Yellow Barn Studio and Capitol Arts Network. http://www.glenkessler.com/
A B O U T G A L L E R Y U N D E R G R O U N D:
Gallery Underground in Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia, is the premier art exhibition space for Arlington Artists Alliance members who are accepted into the gallery by jury. The artwork shown at Gallery Underground changes each month, with an opening reception held on the first Friday of every month. We feature juried solo and group shows in the Focus Gallery and our members’ work in the Main Gallery, including paintings in oil, acrylic, watercolor, and mixed media; drawings; sculpture; photography; glass; ceramics and jewelry. The Arlington Artists Alliance is a vital, energetic, creative force for visual art in Arlington County, VA, a creative collaborative of 140 artists working in Arlington. The Alliance is a 501(c)(3) arts organization, established in 2000 to serve and support visual arts in Arlington County, providing professional development activities for local artists, and serving the community through exhibits, instruction, mentoring, and outreach projects. Voted “Best Art Gallery” in 2015 by the readers of Arlington Magazine.
Q U E S T I O N S
Email curators Sandi Parker and Lynn Coates at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: Gallery Underground, 2120-A Crystal Plaza Arcade, Arlington, VA 22202